AMERICA

AMERICA
ONE NATION UNDER GOD!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Oh Nurse!













I must go on record that I love nurses. From before my birth, until the cancer that took her life, my mother was a nurse. She graduated from Nursing School at the Philadelphia General Hospital and the School of Osteopathy. She spent 15 years as the Emergency Room nurse in a County Hospital in North  Carolina. After those 15 years in the trenches of the biggest life and death struggle, she had seen enough of the ends of lives, and transferred to "Labor & Delivery" where she welcomed over half of the residents of Onslow County North Carolina into the world.

I have always been in awe of the people who choose that line of work. It is truly a thankless job. With little or no recognition. Inferior pay and no accolades.  I have been attended by hundreds of nurses in my lifetime. Nurses of every size, shape, gender, race and creed. And I have never left the company of a nurse without saying "Thank you." So I would be remiss if I  didn't say "Thank You"  to That Darn Girl. who sent her friends over here to say "Hi."
I know I'm an acquired taste. And I know that I have the right to remain silent. I just don't have the ability or the desire to do so.

12 comments:

Ms. A said...

Nursing can be such a thankless job. Praise to those who provide care as well as caring.

Anonymous said...

True dat!

Anonymous said...

It's true they are understaffed, underpaid and overworked, and what would we do without them?

Your mother sounds like a wonderful person, so sorry you lost her to cancer. It's an awful thing and I wish they would find a cure already. However, I think there's too much money in the "cancer business" for that to ever happen.

Great post.

Senorita said...

Such a beautiful post !

Heidi said...

I admire nurses. The ones I've met are all very genuine. I visited Miss Darn Girl. The scenery there is quite beautiful.

Thanks for your comment today. I will (eventually) do it.

UBERMOUTH said...

That's a lovely tribute to Darn Girl.And I agree wholeheartedly.

Becki Jacket said...

My little sister is in training to be a nurse. I'm so proud of her. :)

red.neck chic said...

My hat is off to the nurses in this world... it is SO much a thankless job - yet they ask for nothing other than for their patients to get better. My opinion? Modern day angels.

Cancer is a nasty nasty thing, is it not? I'm sorry for the loss of your mother... she sure 'nough raised a good son. ;-)

Have a great Friday!
robelyn

Kelly said...

Great post and what a nice tribute to both your mama, nurses and your bloggy friend.

Do they call you Tator Salad too?

Marnie said...

Based on the nurses I have met, most of them are very hard working and giving people, both inside and out of the hospital setting.

Your Mother was a special lady. I'm sorry she had cancer. I'm sure she is watching over you :0)

Daisy said...

My mom was an OB (labor & delivery) nurse for 20 years. Then she went to work as a school nurse another 20.

Just telling it like it is said...

Awe...I think I might have teared up a little..
Thank you...Your Mother must have been an extraordinary woman..and I understand why she would want to go to Labor and delivery! That was so kind and I am sure the nurses that took care of you thought you were as amazing as I think you are!!
Hugs