AMERICA

AMERICA
ONE NATION UNDER GOD!

Friday, December 3, 2010

DOES ANY BODY REALLY KNOW

___________________________

Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up I close my eyes
Sitting cross-legged on the floor
Twenty-five or six to four

Staring blindly into space
Getting up to splash my face
Wanting just to stay awake
Wond'ring how much I can take
Should I try to do some more
Twenty-five or six to four

(solo)

Feeling like I ought to sleep
Spinning room is sinking deep
Searching for something to say
Waiting for the break of day
Twenty-five or six to four
Twenty-five or six to four
__________________________

Ever since this song broke in 1970, I have wondered at the meaning of the title and the lyrics. The writer of the song said in an interview, the meaning is not mystical at all. It's a reference to the time of day he was writing the song. (3:35 or 3:34 am = 25 or [2]6 to 4 am).
Ref:


However, last Friday, while in transit to the VA for Physical Therapy, when this song came on the radio, I was immediately reminded of  my curiosity and I said out loud "What is this song about?" And the VANPOOL driver said, "I know the answer. It is a reference to chemical ratio needed in the synthesis of LSD25. And he went on to explain how molecular and covalent bonding... blah blah blah " 

To which I replied, "Oh, really?"

And the driver explained that he had been a Chemist in his prior life and that the meaning of the title was never a mystery to him.

Does anybody really know? Does anybody really care? 
_____________________________________

Let me know what you know about this...

10 comments:

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I don't know, the song always brings me back to high school days and I'de love to know the real answer. I suspect you have the right one, Kurt. Now I'm gonna go google, which you've probably already done.

Red Shoes said...

LMAO @ 'does anybody really care?' Wasn't that the name of another Chicago song? No.. wait... that was 'Does Anyone Really Know What Time It Is'...

That first album of theirs was a killer!!! 'Questions 67 & 68'... 'South California Purples'... 'Introduction'...

Terry Kath was an OUTRAGEOUS guitarist...

~shoes~

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

http://askjimblog.blogspot.com/2007/02/twenty-five-or-six-to-four.html


Makes sense to me.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the holiday greetings. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you as well.
Robyn

Marnie said...

I'm just enjoying the song...Happy Friday :0)

UBERMOUTH said...

I had never heard of this song so I am of no help whatsoever as usual.

I am still pondering the meaning of Jim MOrriosn's song 5 to 1
1 to 5

no one here get out alive.

Some say it is pureness of heroin at time. Some say it is number of old people to young, some say blacks to whites[around time of Watts Riot]....

...can we ever know unless the song writer tells us directly?

And who DID Carly Simon write You're So Vain about anyway?

I wish those fucker's would stop being so cryptic cuz I HAVE to know everything and this shit bugs me.

Can I say 'fucker's' on your blog,Kurt or do those church ladies still come?

M. Reka said...

I am enjoying the song :)
Short Poems

Cloudia said...

GREAT song, KH!



Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

Betty Manousos said...

Hi Kurt, I'm enjoying the song.
Most definitely something I needed to hear today.
Thanks so much for sharing it. :)
I also thank you for your wonderful comments and continued support.
It means a lot!!
Betty

PLUS:

I'm sorry for being late to comment but after returning home I feel so tired because of all the running around.

red.neck chic said...

I've never known what it means... but when I'm afraid to go to sleep 'cause then I might miss a moment of "life" I think of this song.

Good grief - what does THAT mean?!

;-D xoxoxoxoxoxo
robelyn