AMERICA

AMERICA
ONE NATION UNDER GOD!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Have you ever?

Have you ever experienced a fraud attempt against yourself or a friend on the Internet? During your online shopping this past Christmas,did you run into a pop-up window that warned you your computer is or might be infected by a virus? And the give you choices to purchase or download a fix. Let me warn you now that this is a favorite ploy to steal your personal bank or credit information. But rather than give you my jovial good nature advice. I'm gonna tell you who to call. Call The INTERNET CRIME COMPLAINT CENTER.


THE IC3,as we call them in the Info-Sec world  "is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA)." And they want to hear from you. Please don't think of yourself as a NARC or a SNITCH. Internet fraud is a multi-Billion dollar Industry. And all failures to report it are going to embolden these miscreants to continue their exploitation of the innocents.

Okay let's say you aren't comfortable reporting suspicious activity. But you are interested to read about what the bad guys are doing these days. THE IC3 has that info also.

Well, what about you people who don't give a hoot about the bad guys and what they are doing? How do you find out how to protect yourselves from falling victim? YOU GOT IT. THE IC3 gives that info as well.

I've been spending a lot of my time looking into the abyss of the Darkside. But not to the point of Nietzsche's observation that the abyss has begun to stare back into me. In the words of California's current Governor, "I'll be back."

4 comments:

Edie said...

First of all, yes you are quite unique. :)

I have experienced a fraud attempt and almost fell for it because I was on a site that I knew to be trustworthy. What I didn't know was that I had a redirect on my computer. When the form I was completing asked for my SS# I realized something was up. I should have realized it waaay sooner.

Thanks for this info. It's always good to know who to contact.

Have a great week!
<°)}}}><

Andrea said...

Edie and I were approached via the internet by the same person and yes, we turned them in.

Andrea

Kelly said...

I've had that happen to me, but always thought it was trying to put a virus ON my pc, so I never click it. But I didn't realize it was trying to get my banking info. Egads!

Thanks for the tip. And I would never run from you. But if you tried to eat my children I might give you a fat lip. :-)

My ADHD Me said...

I'm selling something on Craigs List and got a response where the guy was going to buy my item for his boss. Since his boss was paying him commission, he wanted to send me a cashiers check for the amount of my item PLUS his commission. Then I was supposed to deposit the check and send him another check for his portion. He even said he was add an extra $20 for my efforts....nice guy.

He said it was very important for me to send him the check on the same day I received his.

JEEZ! Even I didn't fall for that. I did some searching afterwards just out of curiosity and found out that that scam is very common right now.

Have a great day!!!!!